Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Powerpoint!!! The simple yet useful!!- TOOL 5

WELL!! Today was all about powerpoint and the power that it can have on students learning. I have been well aware of powerpoint and have used it alot throughout high school and most of my university experience. I have found that for myself it is an effective tool and I also believe that it is an easy and effective way of expressing alot of information in a more exciting and interacting way. There are many positive outcomes that come after using powerpoint as a learning tool, these are as follows:

- Practice using computers- develop ICT skills.
- Create and present information in an interesting and engaging way.
- Use sounds, images and text to create learning objects/ quizzes etc.
- Students are engaged and excited about learning and completing tasks using powerpoint.
- It is Kinaesthetic, visual and can also be auditory- catering for all learning styles.
- Allows student- centered learning to take place over the traditional chalk and talk - teacher- centered/ directed learning.

After exploring powerpoint in more depth I discovered that there are so many possibilities, more then I could have ever imagined. I was adding sounds to images, adding links to images, creating a quiz, learning object by using links to sounds, images, answers and other pages. This is a tool that has alot of potential in the classroom.

Have a look at the concept map that outlines the frameworks and theories behind PowerPoint and its many uses. I believe that using concept maps to show these ideas is the simplest most effective way to communicate this knowledge.





I believe that using powerpoint as a learning tool would be very beneficial to all students as it is a kinaesthetic approach to learning that will engage the learners in meaningful learning. I believe that powerpoints are strongly linked with behaviourism and constructivism theories, as using powerpoint in the classroom will keep students on task and engaged which in turn will limit the amount of behavioural issues that may happen in the classroom. Constructivism can also be included if the students work in pairs or small groups to work on a task or learning activity, where collaborative learning also enters the powerpoint realm. Using powerpoint in the classroom has various uses and most of these uses are yet to be discovered by myself, I am still learning and believe that there is alot more to come!

Here is some constructive comments that I have added to a peers blog to enhance my learning and refective experience in the ICT realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment